Boris Grigoriev

(1886 - 1939)

7548

Wieland 1915-1920

The magazine Wieland, journal for art and poetry, was founded in Berlin in April 1915 as a weekly. It was one of the first magazines to show war through the eyes of the artists. The strong nationalist tendencies apparent with many artists in the beginning of the war were reflected in the pages of this magazine, which published artists such as Max Pechstein and George Grosz. By 1917 it had moved to Munich, changed into a monthly, and, for a time, lost its innovative drive and status. Its former glory was regained in 1920 with issues dedicated to Russian art in April (nr. 1) and Herman Hesse in May (nr. 2). The April issue featured the art of Boris Grigoriev, who had just had a one-man show at J.B. Neumann’s gallery in Berlin, as well as articles by Umansky, Benois and Grigoriev himself, hailing the new Russian avant-garde. Grigoriev also designed the title page and provided all reproductions for the issue. Later that year, for the August issue (nr. 5)  Grigoriev made 5 illustrations for Tolstoy’s short story Terenty Generalov. In these illustrations (the first Grigoriev made in Berlin) characters from the Raseya cycle such as the dog and the policeman can be recognized. The goat in the story saving Terenty from drowning, began to appear as a new character in his paintings.

References:

Tarasenkov 1966, p. 176

Pskov 2001, pp. 35-36

 

1920 Heft 1 1920 Heft 3 1920 Heft 4 1920 Heft 5 1920 Heft 6